Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Our Weekend

This past weekend was pretty uneventful. We started with great intentions, but the weather ultimately killed all of our plans. Boo!!! It started early on Saturday morning with the dreaded alarm beeping at 4:30 a.m. We had promised each other that we'd run this 5K benefiting GAIN (Guam Animals in Need), a shelter where we got our devil cat, Nikko, from about a year ago.

So, wide-eyed and bushy tailed, I was ready to go, but Token needed some extra motivation. He eventually got movin' and we were on our way to the race route. The race started at 6 a.m. and the course wasn't so bad. There was one killer hill that absolutely sucked, but we both managed to run the whole thing without walking. Yay for us! Token finished in 27:something and I finished in 28:something. Not too shabby for me - a tried and true treadmill runner!

After the race, we stopped at a coffee shop, got some caffeine and headed home to get ready to drive to the southern part of the island for a dolphin watching tour. We were both really excited, but the weather was bad and there was a small craft advisory on the ocean, so our trip was cancelled. Bummer. We did reschedule it for this weekend though. Hopefully the weather's better!!

After finding out the trip was cancelled, we drove around the island - a trip that takes about 45 minutes or so. It's cool to drive by all of these old villages and see some of the Chamorro buildings. The weather was still nasty though, so we didn't get out anywhere or take any pictures. Sorry!

We stopped by a local grocery store and picked up some Puffin cereal (cinnamon is awesome!!!) and some other stuff we can't get on-base and then headed to Hard Rock Cafe for a late lunch/early dinner. Now, I have been a lover of the Haystack Chicken Salad (minus the chicken - I'm vegetarian, remember?) for as long as I can remember, but today, I decided to give the veggie burger a shot. Oh my gosh!! It's excellent! Token's so proud that I branched out ;). He got the Chamorro burger which, according to our server, is a regular burger with Spam mixed in. Tasty.

The rest of the day was spent lounging around and doing some odds and ends at home, like the overflowing pile of laundry we somehow always end up with at the end of the week.

Sunday was so uneventful that I can't really write much about it. We (our, I should probably say Token) did more housework, I went to the gym, the usual Sunday activities. Oh! Token did make me the famous Weber "cheesy potatoes" for dinner, but instead of potatoes, he used hash browns. Yum!!! It was so good.

And that, my friends, was our weekend!

Our cat, Nikko, who is mean to me when Token's not watching, but a lover when he is. The brat!














I'm so proud of Token, he won the MWR Manager of the Year award for our region!! To celebrate, I got an itty bitty cake from this local shop and we enjoyed it over our usual Friday lunch date:

7 comments:

Beau said...

Congratulations on the award! That's awesome.

I can't tell you how jealous I am of you two being on the ocean...I'm dying to get out of the Midwest right now. I'm plotting on visiting mom and dad in the near future and abusing their proximity to the Mediterranean. :P

I talked to dad for a long time yesterday and he's ready to get back here and see everyone. What are your travel dates?

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS, TOKEN!! The cake looks really good!! Can't wait to see you guys in September!!

Nancy

Tracie/Token said...

GREAT cake... it didn't stand a chance with these two choco-holics!

Tracie/Token said...

GREAT cake... it didn't stand a chance with these two choco-holics!

Kim said...

Hi guys! This is a pretty neat way to keep in contact. Sounds like you had a fun weekend even though the weather was the pits. Congratulations, Token! That cake looks really yummy! See you in September!

Dad said...

I am pretty stoked that you and I do the same thing and I'm extremely proud of your accomplishments and the reputation you have earned in the MWR community. Now, get promoted so I canhave your job!!! Love ya!

Dan Barnthouse said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.