Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"Leaving on a jet plane... don't know when I'll be back again"

It's hard to believe that I only have three more days left in Guam. If you would have asked me a year ago, I would have bet my favorite shoes that we'd still be here and I'd still be complaining about wanting to move, and that the boot-shaped country of Italy was just a place halfway around the world from here full of pasta and pizza. That place with the fabulous food is going to be our new home for two years. And that's crazy to think about.

While I did complain from time to time about life in Guam, specifically, the lack of Target, fresh produce, the crazy drivers, and no seasons, I really will miss it. Not many people can say that they've had the opportunity to live in such a beautiful, tropical place. And the friends we've made here are so wonderful. That will be the hardest part about leaving. We have made some great friends, and making new friends is just a daunting thing to do. It makes me revert back to kindergarten, and those old insecurities resurface. Will I be "cool" enough to sit at the popular girls' table for lunch? What if there's no one my age, or likes to do the things I like to do? What if I'm ostracized because my husband's not in the military, therefore, what do I know about military life? I've really never had much of a problem making friends, and I hope the same rings true over there.

I don't truly know if it's set in that I'm actually leaving here for good. I don't know when it will set in. Maybe once we're on the plane? Who knows.

We have one last hurrah with our friends on Friday, and I'm going to try my darndest to keep the tears from flowing, but it might be hard. (fair warning, Rachel!)

What will I walk away from Guam with? An appreciation for culture (and fabulous food that I know we'll both miss!!), a stronger marriage, quite a few stamps in my passport, and most importantly, friends that I'll always remember.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracie, I know you will fine wherever you go!!! You are a very personable and friendly girl and will make lots of new friends, but not forget all your Guam friends.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you in the "big wedding"!!
Have a safe trip!! I'm going to Vegas on June 1st but will see you the next Saturday!! Woohoo!!

Love, Nancy

Skvaril's said...

Oh, SAD! Now it seems more real. I just kept saying to myself that tomorrow was just another get together...just another of many more to come. Now your blog has shattered my delusion and I have to face the fact that come Saturday, Token burgers and beans won't be offered up at our BBQ's, two church seats near mine will be empty (kind of good so I won't sit behind you and envy your cute dresses), we'll be 2 less for events like Iowa Day, Boccie Ball tournaments, and Croquet battles. We'll miss you like crazy and its definite that Guam won't be as fun without you. However, it should cheer your heart to know that your cheese ball will live on through Resa and I. We have really enjoyed having the both of you as part of life here. I know you'll have no problem making new friends but please don't forget us back here on the island. Maybe we'll get that trip to Italy in when Noah gets big enough to enjoy it.

Love,
Kody, Rachel, Noah and Kona

PS Kona says sorry he sneezed on you so many times when you visited.