Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Palermo Half Marathon

As promised, here are some pictures of the race this past weekend. We left Sigonella at 9 a.m. and got in to Palermo around noon. We headed down to the race site to pick up our numbers, a chip for our shoe that tracked time, and a bunch of other goodies, like a t-shirt and hat. The rest of the day was spent wandering around the city. We went out to dinner as a group that night.

Here are our names. Token proudly represented Iceland, although I suck as a photographer and didn't get it in the picture. He also got his middle name listed. What's up with that?

The group, the day before the race.


I'm signing some kind of poster. I have no idea what they did with it after the race. It's probably in the trash somewhere. :p

In addition to the usual goodies that come in a race bag, like a t-shirt, hat, water, juice, this one had something unique. Heavy whipping cream. Most random race swag EVER!!!


The next day, we met in the lobby at 8:20 a.m. and walked down to the starting line. The race was supposed to start at 9 a.m., but it's Italy, so it didn't really get started until 9:15 a.m. or so.

Here's a pre-race picture. Man, Token and I sure are white! We're missing that Guam sunshine!



The group, pre-race.

Here I am, chugging along. Saying a quick 'grazie' to the kind Italian clapping for me. What a nice guy. Please note the vehicle creeping up behind me that I'm not even remotely paying attention to.
That car sure is getting closer. The guy behind me has noticed it, but me? Nope! Still bee-boppin' down the street with a smile on my face, completely oblivious.
*Time out: can we talk about the dude behind me for a minute? I think I need to train more, because the fact that a man who has to wear compression tights is that close to me is a little depressing.*


Here I am, giving my best Tyrannosaurus Rex impersonation. Very convincing, no?

Because this is the last picture of this series, I'll fill you in on what happened next. The driver of the car, which was a police car, no less, turned on his siren FULL BLAST and scared the crap out of me. Zee, the MWR lady taking these pictures, had to practically pull me out of the way because he almost took my legs out. Good times on mile seven.

Token, on the other hand had fairly uneventful run....


Except the part where he had to run behind this fine gem of a man, who I'm going to guess does not wear deodorant. Go Italia!

Let's get a closer look at that face. Ah yeah, he's lovin' the stink.

Here's Token, finishing strong.



Here I am, smiling at the finish line!


After walking (very slowly) back to the hotel and showering, we headed back down to the finish line to watch the marathoners come in.


Aw, aren't we cute?


Yeah, until you make me mad on the bus on the way back to Sig. Watch out! Man, I look mean!! (and yes, I'm debating with myself right now whether or not this picture is going to stay up. I'm scary!! Grrr.....)

2 comments:

dadone said...

Family, Well Done!!!, Does this race mean that your counterparts in America should start training???? Did you get that policeman's name? Just a guy who enjoys beauty!! Love you, dadone

Tammie said...

Great pictures. I absolutely love your recap. Made me laugh. And I see your ran in your skirt :-) So you actually ran your half marathon and then went out and walked around the City afterwards? Is that normal? LOL I'm thinking my legs wouldn't move. Good job girl!