Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Duomo in Florence. Otherwise known as AMAZING.

It's a well-known fact that I'm not into history, or art, or museums. I think that that's been established. So I don't need to tell you that I was preparing to be completely bored walking past and hearing about the Duomo in Florence, right? Well, I think this is a cue to lower my expectations for everything, because I was blown away. The place was absolutely, amazingly, breathtakingly stunning. I don't know how well it translates onto film, but take my word for it. It was the most beautiful structure I've ever seen.

Ready for the stats, courtesy of Wikipedia? Construction on the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore started in 1296 and major construction was done in 1436. (Tracie note: that's a long time ago.) It went without a roof for a long time, because the Florentine people wanted to make sure they had the right person hired who was going to do the job right. From the time the cathedral was started, in 1296 and the time it was completely constructed, 1469, 173 had gone by. That's some patience, folks. In my opinion, it was worth the wait.


Bellissima!

2 comments:

dadone said...

It was worth the wait, love dadone

bro_one said...

I think it's impossible to beat "dadone" to comment on this thing... pretty sweet pics (other than the nudey men, just kinda creepy)