Thursday, January 22, 2009

Driving Hazards

Every day, driving from work, I run in to the strangest situation. The first time, there was this loooong line of traffic, creeping along, and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. There didn't seem to be an accident, there was no construction, and there were no Caribinari on patrol. As I crept along, it soon became evident of just what the hold-up was...

SHEEP!!! Lots and lots of sheep!

Every day around 4:15 p.m., the herder moves his flock from one open field to another. The sheep, having no sense of direction, stupidly follow, but don't always stay on the side of the road...



They say that if you hit and kill a sheep, you have to pay the herder something like 200 euro/sheep. So people tend to go reallly slow when passing them.

I have to say: it's one of my favorite times of the day. The sheep have bells around their necks and, although they smell like butt, it cracks me up every time!

After my last post of something I hate about Italy, I figured I'd brighten it up with something I love.

4 comments:

Gil said...

The bells do have a nice ring to them as the sheep move along at their own pace and direction! You have a very interesting and informative blog.

Nancy G said...

Yes, I agree about your blog! It's like living there first hand, I'm so glad you are having this fabulous chance to live there!!

dadone said...

Hi T, thank you for the blog, it makes my day, love dadone

Tammie said...

Ok, that's just crazy! You see this every day?