Friday, February 20, 2009

Cefalu

In addition to our trip to Castelbuono, we went to the harbor town of Cefalu, which is about2.5 hours away from our house. It's a pretty town, but we were there in the winter and on a Sunday so it was pretty much a ghost town.

Here are some pictures!

I know it's hard to see, but that little speck out in the distance is the island of Stromboli. I not certain, but I think that that's where the 'stromboli' sandwich came from! Here's another interesting tidbit that has nothing to do with Stromboli. In Italian, the word 'speck' is bacon!


This is the main cathedral from the side:
These little vehicles are all over the place in Sicily. A lot of farmers use them to carry their crops around. Usually the person driving is male and really plump. I have to laugh every time I see one drive by... the poor guy looks so squished and uncomfy driving it!

This is the front of the cathedral:

And a shot inside (although it's bad because I didn't have a tripod and didn't want to use flash, so I balanced it on a pew):
It had a really pretty stained glass window in the back.
After we visited the cathedral, we wandered around the town. Look at their crazy narrow walkways!

I just like this picture. I don't know why, I just think it's cool.



I like doors, remember?

We were given some free time, so Token and I wandered around and came to the beach. The cops were arresting some guy for selling counterfeit things on the side of the road. Interestingly enough, they let him go and take some of his stuff, but also confiscated some. Maybe gifts for their family members?? :p

We wandered for awhile and then headed back to the bus. Along the way, we came across this sign. It reads:
"Bathing is not sure for lack of special lifesaving device." Um... huh? Any idea on what that's supposed to mean? We think it's something along the lines of 'no lifeguard on duty - swim at your own risk.'



And finally, back to the bus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm.....stromboli's! You're making me hungry! I could use that little vehicle to go back and forth to work and really save on gas. Danny wants to know what kind of motorcycle that is in one of those pictures with the doors. Lot's of great pictures, makes me feel like I need to be there. Love, Anne

dadone said...

hi t & t, wonderful pictures and story, love you dadone