Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Vatican

I'm on a roll this week!

On Saturday morning, Token made us a reservation with a tour group to go trolley about Vatican City.

Fun facts about the Vatican:

  • The Swiss Guard officially guard the Vatican and the Pope. The uniforms that they wear are very intricate and were believed to be designed by Michelangelo. There are 110 soldiers and 6 officers in the unit and they are intimidating.
  • The Vatican is its own sovereign state since 1929.
  • The Pope holds all legislative, judicial, and executive powers. Basically, he's the Man!
  • The Vatican' s total land mass is 0.17, which makes it the smallest country in the world.
  • The Vatican has its own telephone service, post office, and newspaper
Alright, enough of that, here are some pictures.

See those blacked out windows? The second set from the top? That's the Pope's office. Guess he doesn't like sunlight... :p He wasn't in town when we visited.

The front of St. Peter's Basilica.

The front of the Basilica. They had chairs set out for the sermon on Sunday, even though the Pope was in Africa at the time.


Inside the Basilica.

Pretty ceiling! I think I want Token to do something like that in our house. It could be done, right?

I think this might be one of my all-time favorite pictures I've ever taken.


We also went to the grotto that holds all of the remains of the past popes through the ages. The grave for Pope John Paul II had a ton of flowers, incense burning, and a lot of people gathered around it to pray.

A tip if you're planning a visit to the Vatican. Go early, book a tour (you get in faster), and have fun!

4 comments:

Skvaril's said...

I LOVE your all-time favorite picture of the columns and ceiling! How beautiful!! Maybe you can tour it again when Kody, Noah and I come to visit! :)

Nancy G said...

I also love your beautiful pictures!! How nice to have our own "personal" tour!!

dadone said...

T, Had I known you were so interseted in taking pictures, I would have started you much earlier, my how good of a photo-ag you have become, love dadone

DanTerry said...

Very cool pictures!! What's your fondest memory of Rome?