Monday, June 15, 2009

NAS Sigonella 50th Anniversary

Whew. What a weekend. More so for Token than for me, but let me just say, being pregnant and on your feet from 8 a.m. until 1:15 a.m. is no fun. I was so sore yesterday.

This weekend was Naval Air Station Sigonella's 50th anniversary, and both Token's job as well as mine required us to be on hand for the festivities. Token planned and organized his first large scale event, the MWR County Fair, and it went without a hitch with over 6000 people in attendance both days. Go Tokie! It was tons of fun and I think people really enjoyed themselves. Poor Token is on a plane to Salt Lake City right now, and is hopefully catching up on his Zzzz's. He's one tired puppy!

Here are just a couple pictures from Saturday's activities. (everything kicked off on Friday, but I don't have any pictures from that. There was an official ceremony, the County Fair kicked off in the afternoon, and the band Hinder closed down the event that evening. FYI - Token said they were true rock stars. I asked how he meant and he said "they were trashed." Nice!)

Saturday morning was the seven-mile base to base run. I risked my life getting this picture, but I think it was worth it!


From there, the County Fair stuff kicked off again with games, food, and rides. There was also a Sigonella vs. Italian Air Force soccer game with traditional Sicilian flag throwers at halftime and a bunch more. Oh! I also took a break from the heat and watched the movie Up. Has anyone seen it? It made me cry on a number of occasions and I left the theater kinda depressed. Not what you'd expect from a Pixar movie!

Anyway, back on track. The Navy Band performed that night and they were awesome!!! I was really surprised!


And here's a really cool picture of one of the rides that I went on.


Got ya!! I don't think Baby Girl would appreciate the centrivical force. (BTW, Token was able to feel her kicking last night!! She's getting stronger!)

The anniversary celebrations closed with a really good fireworks display. They couldn't set them off until 11 p.m. because that's when it's dark, which in turn meant that clean-up started around 12 a.m., hence us not getting home until 1:15 a.m.

I think it was worth it, but from now on, we'll be driving separately to all-day events like this. ;)

3 comments:

Tammie said...

Wait a second. It's not dark until 11 pm? Really?

Looks like you guys had a fun weekend. Awesome job Token did!

Aw that baby girl is kicking :-)

dadone said...

So you had a great time, the three of you, very nice........ love dadone

JenniOneSpeed said...

Love the fireworks shot. :)