Thursday, July 09, 2009

The woes of working

I haven't mentioned this on the blog, but my office is a furnace. The guys from Public Works (PW) can't figure out why the air conditioning isn't working, but it's currently 89.4 in here at 1:30 p.m. I have called, emailed, stalked, and harassed everyone I know who works at PW for a month now and nothing has been fixed.

Today I put a call in to the local Human Resources Office to find out what would happen if I didn't come in to work, or if I left early, citing 'unsafe work conditions.' I wanted to know if I'd be charged leave. I just got a call back from someone at HR and she basically told me that I would be charged leave because it's a "personal decision and personal discomfort." I asked her if the same would ring true if I had a doctor's note (hello, 6.5 months pregnant here!) and she said yes. She said that the only thing that I can do is request for my boss to find a vacant office on base to move me to. Yeah, that's not happening.

My next step is to file a complaint with the Base Safety Office. From there, who knows. I just can't take this anymore. When I get home from work, I literally have no energy, no appetite, and just want to sleep. The only good thing to come from this is that I easily drink a gallon of cold water a day, but the relief only lasts for a bit.

Anyone have any advice on what I can do short of quitting?

1 comment:

dadone said...

A block of ice and a fan, and when it melts housekeeping will complain, or... I don't know a sit in does not help, what about co-workers? Are they miserable too?? Or just stay hot, irascible, grumpy, all the things you are not, maybe the hint will be given. I know it is not much help, maybe dad needs a road trip. love you and baby b and token, dadone