Thursday, September 03, 2009

Want a yummy Mac & Cheese recipe?

I caved and made mac & cheese last week. I've been able to resist for, oh, 8.5 months now, but decided I had to eat it before the baby comes because afterward I'll be trying to lose weight, and let's just say that this recipe isn't very diet-friendly.

It's called Homestyle Mac & Cheese and came from a recipe book from Gooseberry Patch. It's so easy and soooo delish!

Preheat oven to 325.
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Pour in 2 cups (I usually do about 2.5 to 3 cups) pasta of your choice (I've done penne, ziti, cavatappi, and regular 'ol elbows) and cook until al dente (not *quite* done). After pasta is done, transfer to a mixing bowl.
Melt 2 T. butter in a saucepan over medium/low heat.
Add 2 T. flour to the butter and whisk together until absorbed.
Slowly pour in 3/4 cups milk and whisk together with flour/butter mixture until thick.
Add a pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, and some dried diced onion (I've used fresh, too, and it's good)
Whisk everything together. Bump up the temperature a little bit and add 2 liberal cups of the shredded cheese of your choice. The recipe calls for 1 cup of Colby Jack and 1 cup of Cheddar, but I just use whatever we have on hand (unless it's mozzarella. I don't think that would work very well).
Mix everything together until the cheese is completely melted.
Add the cheese sauce to the pasta and stir together.
Add 1 cup sour cream to the pasta and mix.
Pour pasta into a baking dish. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and paprika. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.

Mmmmmm.....

1 comment:

Mom Br said...

Yum! I haven't had really good Mac and cheese in a while. This sounds really good. I'm going to have to start calling you the Pioneer Woman. TeeHee!!