Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The great job search: 2012 edition

A few things:

1.) Our household goods have arrived and will be delivered tomorrow! I have lived out of a suitcase since Nov. 12 and have done very minimal shopping. I'm supremely impressed with myself. Forget unpacking our beds, I'm going straight for my clothes and baking supplies!

2.) Our Escape is also ready to be picked up in Oakland. Yay!! Token's boss so generously volunteered to make the trek out there to pick it up. Thank you for sparing me the 8-hour road trip.

3.) I am job searching like crazy and trying to network my behind off. I really think the key to my happiness here will be finding my niche, and I'm really trying to get people to see that I'd be an amazing addition to their team. I'm on LinkedIn and have made some great connections on there, and have also joined the Sierra Nevada PRSA chapter. I'm really hoping something shakes loose for me soon. I'm looking for a job where I can write, be creative, use my past experience, and continue to learn and grow. It could be agency, corporate, newspapers, magazines... really anything in the media field. Somewhat on topic: I really need to brush up on my interview skills. Funny as this may sound, I've never had a traditional "so tell me about yourself" interview. I've been really lucky to have been in the right place at the right time for my past jobs. It's weird to amp myself up, and is way out of my comfort zone. I had an interview a couple weeks ago, and I keep thinking back on it and realizing how much I should have said, and how much I rambled and really sounded stupid. Ugh. The verdict is still out on that one, and while I'd really like it, I'm afraid I didn't sell myself as well as I should have.

4.) I lost 30ish pounds the second half of 2010, and because I'm stressed about finding a job, making friends, settling in here, I'm stuffing my face and not tasting the food. Total emotional eater. I need to rein it in, but I can't seem to do it. Focus.

No comments: