Sunday, April 22, 2012

I've been feeling a bit ho-hum about running lately, when suddenly, I got a ping for a Groupon from a local Reformer Pilates studio, The Concrete Lotus. Kismet! I bought a super discounted five-class pass, and went to my first session on Wednesday. I've always been the type of person who needs to sweat during my workouts, and prefer high-impact, so I was a bit wary of Pilates. Because of that, I signed up for a 30-minute Spin/30-minute Pilates class. Gotta say - I loved it!! I was going to update this blog that evening, but my arms were too shaky (read: I could barely lift my arms to brush my teeth!), so I'd say it was challenging!

Yesterday I ran my first 5K since my daughter was born. It was TOUGH!!! Right as I turned the corner to head to the finish line, I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach. You know the one - I thought I was going to toss my cookies in front of everyone. Token and Amelia were clapping and I tried to smile at them when all I was thinking was, "don't puke, don't puke, don't puke." I zipped off to find a secluded pine tree and dry heaved my heart out. Ugh. I blame it on the heat and also on one water station. And maybe a smidge on the fact that I didn't train whatsoever. ;)

Afterward, we went to brunch at a cute little place called Squeeze In in Truckee, California. The place was packed, so I knew we picked the right spot! Amelia had pancakes in the shape of a bear, I had egg whites with a bunch of veggies, and Token got the "Racy Tracy" omelet, in honor of his not-so-racy Tracie. ;) We cruised around Truckee for awhile (very cute little town!!), then decided to drive around Lake Tahoe.

We got to one section along the way called Emerald Bay. I have to tell you: I have seen quite a few stunning landscapes and overlooks in my lifetime so far, but none of them made me tear up like this one did. It was so incredibly beautiful.  (note: not my picture. I didn't have my camera!! Shocker!)


I've been thinking that I need to recap some of our vacations. Last summer, we did a bunch of stuff: Malta, Ireland, Paris, Rimini, Munich, Amsterdam... I'd like to get my thoughts down, along with some recommendations for anyone out there reading that might be planning a trip.


No comments: